Thursday, December 25, 2014

Always, there were Uncles


 
Uncle Mick with Aunt Diane
who once found me weeping in a cubby
and explained that, in this family, we show love
by picking on one until she cries
 
Uncle Jerry with Aunt Debbie
who did the dumbest things
but did not despair
instead, she shared the tales for laughter’s sake
 
Uncle Tom, the one and only
my most constant family and friend
not a Christmas in my life without him
the caring son until the very end.
 
There wasn’t always a father
but one year he came through
and gave me $10 to buy presents
for brothers, mother, uncles, cousins, grandmothers, and himself.
 
For Uncle Tom,
an envelope of tiny tacks and a plastic shark on wheels
he played with it for hours
and made me laugh until I could not breathe.
 
Later, there were still three uncles
but two of them were my brothers, Uncle Roger and Uncle Ed
the last Christmas I remember us all together
the most remarkable things were said
 
Grammy said we need not save the wrapping paper
to be used another time
and we really are not Irish
Pap Pap had told a lie


No comments:

Post a Comment