Monday, March 2, 2015

Two Sides of Ethel - Somerset Magazine, March 2015

a peculiar shape at the edge of the field
silent, unmoving, but for a lift of its hand
the scent unfamiliar, a danger alert
a nip at my heel, then the leash in her teeth
a punch in the chest and a bite on the chin
pushing me onward, away from this fear
until safe once again under cover of wood,
she falls into step at my side.
she is my shepherd and I am her sheep

 
 
 
                The relationship I have with Ethel is vastly different than what I’ve had with any other dog.  Maybe some of this is because she is the only herding breed I’ve ever lived with, but I suspect her medical issues as a pup also shaped our connection.  Ethel was just over three weeks old when she came to live with me and she probably doesn’t remember a time before we were…whatever we are. 

As an empty nester, I like to think of myself as her mother.  As a trainer, I like to think of myself as her benevolent leader.  As the recipient of more than a few out of control herding dog bites, I tend to think of myself as her victim (and the emergency room doctors who stitched me together and glued a certain part of my anatomy back in place would certainly agree).  As a realist, I think of myself her owner.  After all, I buy her food, clean up her poop, and am responsible for her veterinary bills.  In Ethel’s mind, I’m sure things are different. 

Now that she has four good legs and I am progressing in my physical therapy, we like to go walking.  One of our favorite sites is Kimberly Run Natural Area, where well behaved dogs are allowed to walk off leash.  It’s a great place for exercise, both physical and cerebral.  Recently, I’ve committed to writing outside my comfort zone and have been trying my hand at poetry.  Virtually all of my poems have been born while walking through forest and field with my dogs.  This one came about when I tried to imagine one of our walks from Ethel’s perspective.

It was during archery season, so Ethel and I were both wearing blaze orange.  During deer season, I choose to walk at midday when fewer hunters are about and only when there are no vehicles in the parking area.  Since the coast was clear that day, Ethel was off leash.  Besides having a reliable recall, my girl never wanders far enough to lose sight of me, and basically trots along at heel or a few paces ahead.  We had reached the top of the trails and were walking the loop through the field where the bluebird houses are when I was surprised to see a hunter in the tree line at the far edge of the field.  We raised our hands to acknowledge one another and I moved on.  Ethel raised her head to scent the air, stopped just a moment to stare in the direction of the orange and camouflage figure, and then went into full-fledged herding dog mode. 

At first, she just bounced out in front of me and nipped at my feet but, when I continued forward instead of back, she began to jump and gave me a few punches to the chest.  Still, I refused her direction so she grabbed the leash that I had looped around my shoulders and pulled it tight against my throat.  Needless to say, I was not pleased and gave her a stern verbal reprimand.  She returned the gesture in a warbling whine followed by a yap and a bite on the chin.  We must have made quite the show for the hunter as we battled to see whose will was stronger. 

I’d like to think I won because we left the field in the direction I chose.  Ethel probably thought she was the victor because we left the field, period.  Either way, once we were under the cover of trees, Ethel relaxed her hackles and fell back into heel position, I wiped the blood from my chin, and the mêlée came to an end just as quickly as it had begun.  Living with this dog is always an adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment