Monday, November 24, 2014

Turkey Trot or The Extent of My Education


 
               One thing I can say for sure is that I really know my s**t.  Scat, that is (get your mind out of the gutter).   Scat, of course, is just another of the many words used for bowel movements.  Now, if you want to get really technical, there are some very specific terms to be applied.  For instance, technically, only humans produce feces, though the term fecal is used across many species with the same understanding.

                Birds and bats produce guano.   Guano is white because of uric acid.  Wildlife waste is generally qualified as scat.  Insects produce frass.  I spent one glorious spring working as a frassologist, collecting, weighing, and measuring the little packages that fell from the trees in our survey plots in order to identify the insects that were being eaten by the birds in our study.  Can you believe I left that job to become a park naturalist?

                If an animal eats its own waste, this is termed being coprophagic.  When rabbits and guinea pigs do it, it is an efficient way to process cellulose.  When dogs do it, it’s just gross.

                When I studied veterinary technology, I learned to grade number two but, oddly, it was on a scale from one to five.  A one is totally liquid (hmmm…) and a five is completely solid.

                By the shape, placement, and content, you can generally tell what species left it.  For instance, foxes tend to leave theirs on logs but I don’t know why.  The picture above is from a turkey.  A male.  That’s easy to determine by the “J” shape and remembered by many of us as being eliminated by jakes.  I could explain why, but I doubt anyone but me and a handful of turkey biologists really care. 

                Fossilized dung is a coprolite.  Paleofeces are fossilized people poop.  And, now, writing about this is getting really old…

No comments:

Post a Comment