Friday, July 1, 2016

No Service Dogs Allowed - from Somerset Magazine, July 2016


                This body has betrayed me.  It’s often a struggle to regulate my blood sugar and I daily battle depression with anxiety.  Add to that diagnoses of Sjogren’s syndrome, connective tissue disease, fibromyalgia, and hypersomnolence.  With all of this, I have been truly blessed.  I’ve come to appreciate the good days and am grateful that there are now more of them than bad ones.  With the help of an amazing medical team, I’ve come a long way.  When I started physical therapy many years ago, I could not walk two blocks without a cane.  Now, with proper planning and some help, I’m able to go for daily walks and enjoy a great deal of independence. 

                Every few months, I make the drive from Somerset to Nashville to visit my grandson (and his parents, of course).  Remaining in one position wreaks havoc on my muscles and increases pain.  So, I do as my physical therapist suggests: I stop often to move around.   He also dictates that I “live, woman, live!”   Good advice. 

                Daisy is my traveling companion – my partner, my friend, my service dog.  She is a carefully trained mobility assistant.  If I kneel, she stands before me to act as a brace while I rise.   She pulls me upright from a seat.  She helps me keep my balance by pulling just enough on the leash.  She retrieves things I’ve dropped and carries valuables in her pack.  She gives me the freedom to travel alone and she shares my adventures.

                She has walked with me through the forests of six states, ridden on buses and in tow trucks.  She has toured Makers Mark Distillery, the Corvette Museum, Mammoth Cave, and the Louisville Zoo.  She watches over my grandson, playfully fetches the ball he can only throw a few feet, and was invited into the hospital when he was born.  At our “halfway home” – the Comfort Inn in Morehead KY – she is greeted by name and knows her way to our regular room.

                As we returned from our last visit, I chose a different hotel in an attempt to save some cash.  Big mistake.  When I informed the night clerk that I was travelling with a service animal, she stated that there would be an extra charge.  I have never been charged a fee before, but a second employee reinforced the position, saying that he’d checked with the manager that morning.  Now, this is illegal, but I was tired and in no mood to argue - all I really wanted was a hot bath and a clean bed.  So, I asked if there were grab bars in the tub and was, surprisingly, told that there were not.  I then asked for a handicapped accessible room and was told that they were not pet friendly.  Baffled, I requested my credit card be returned as I would be staying elsewhere.

                In the parking lot my mood changed from baffled to incredulous, then quickly escalated to righteous indignation.  After a few deep breaths, I returned to the desk to inform the staff that I would be pursuing the matter further only to be met with a look of honest confusion.  “You just denied me access to a handicap room because I have a service dog.  That’s illegal!” I nearly shouted with wavering voice.  With utmost calm, I was told that I wasn’t being denied, I just had to stay in a pet friendly room.  (And forgo my bath, I suppose)  Like a two-year-old in a tantrum, I bellowed, “This is the worst travel experience I’ve ever had!” and stomped away.

                We live in a digital world.  My first act was to post an unfavorable review on the hotel’s Facebook page, my second, to complain to my friends.  That night we stayed at another hotel – one considerably more expensive than the Comfort Inn (that will teach me not to be cheap) but, at least, I enjoyed a bath and was treated with respect. 

With morning came a message from the hotel manager containing a perfunctory apology and an attempt to defend his position.  What followed was a long, but polite, argument via Messenger.  As we conversed, my anger dissipated.  This gentleman truly impressed me as he researched the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and pledged to educate both himself and his staff. 

In the end was this, indeed, a big mistake and the worst travel experience ever?  Maybe not.  It is my belief that people with disabilities – visible or not – will enjoy a greater understanding of their rights and that this hotel will strive to accommodate them and their service animals.  For my part, I’ve rewritten my review and am looking forward to our next visit to Grayson, KY.
                 

Rebecca is the President & Executive Director of The Ethel Fund Inc., a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization dedicated to changing animals' lives by providing assistance in times of catastrophic veterinary need.  To learn more, please visit http://www.ethelfund.org or https://www.facebook.com/TheEthelFund.  You may contact Rebecca at rslindeman@ethelfund.org.
Phil Balko is the proprietor of Photography by Balko and donates his talents to the Ethel Fund Inc. as well as other community organizations.  To see more of his work, visit http://philipbalko.com/. You may contact Phil at inquiry@philipbalko.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment